You can claim Italian citizenship through descent as Italy recognizes jure sanguinis (by the bloodline). However, you must prove that your Italian ancestor was, in fact, an Italian citizen or had the right to claim Italian citizenship when they were born.
- 1 How many generations can you go back for Italian citizenship?
- 2 How much does it cost to get Italian citizenship by descent?
- 3 How do I get my Italian passport by descent UK?
- 4 How long does it take to get Italian citizenship by descent?
- 5 How do I qualify for an Italian passport?
- 6 Is Italian dual citizenship worth it?
- 7 Can I become a dual citizen of Italy?
- 8 How much does it cost to make an Italian passport?
- 9 Can you get an Italian passport through grandparents UK?
- 10 Can I have a British and Italian passport?
- 11 Can I get an Italian passport if my husband has one?
- 12 Can I get an Italian passport if my grandmother was Italian?
- 13 Is it difficult to get Italian citizenship?
- 14 Does Italy have birthright citizenship?
How many generations can you go back for Italian citizenship?
Having an Italy-born Ancestor is one of the requirements but sadly not the only one; the good news is that there is no limit in the number of generations you can go back, as long as your Italian Ancestor migrated away AFTER Italy became a nation, on March 17, 1861.
How much does it cost to get Italian citizenship by descent?
As a rule, the dual Italian citizenship process can cost anywhere between $500 – $10,000.
How do I get my Italian passport by descent UK?
5 Steps to Obtaining Italian Dual Citizenship from UK
- Identify Your Ancestral Ties.
- Make an Appointment with Your Local Italian Consulate.
- Gather Documents for Your Ancestor.
- Italian Dual Citizenship Application Form.
- Translating the Documents and Apostilles.
- Attend Your Appointment and Apply for Italian Passport.
How long does it take to get Italian citizenship by descent?
Keep in mind it is not unusual for processing to take between 6 months and 1 year but in spite of that, some applicants are fortunate enough to enjoy a process that takes only 1 to 6 months.
How do I qualify for an Italian passport?
The main ways to obtain Italian citizenship are:
- by birth, if the child was born to Italian citizens;
- through ancestry, or Italian citizenship by blood if parents, grandfather or great-grandfather are Italians;
- through marriage, after two years of marriage in Italy or three years in another country;
Is Italian dual citizenship worth it?
Italian dual citizenship can create incredible opportunities and foster wonderful cultural exchanges. The main benefits Dual Italian Citizens enjoy are: The ability to work, reside and study in Italy and across the 27 EU member states (e.g. Spain, France, Germany, Netherlands etc.) without the need of a Visa.
Can I become a dual citizen of Italy?
You can get dual citizenship in USA and Italy if you can prove you have Italian ancestry with a demonstrable unbroken line of citizenship. Since 1992, Italy has allowed dual citizenship with the United States, and you will not need to renounce your American citizenship during the process of applying.
How much does it cost to make an Italian passport?
How much does an Italian passport cost? An Italian passport should cost $145 and this will be valid for up to five years. This fee is not included in the costs associated with Italian citizenship and all fees for an Italian passport must be covered by the person applying for the passport.
Can you get an Italian passport through grandparents UK?
An application for Italian citizenship can be made via the paternal line, with no generational limits, provided none of the ancestors renounced their Italian citizenship before the birth of the next descendant.
Can I have a British and Italian passport?
Dual citizenship (also known as dual nationality) is allowed in the UK. This means you can be a British citizen and also a citizen of other countries. You do not need to apply for dual citizenship. You can apply for foreign citizenship and keep your British citizenship.
Can I get an Italian passport if my husband has one?
The spouse of an Italian citizen may apply for citizenship by marriage after they have been married to their Italian spouse for three (3) years (if living outside of Italy). That time is halved if the applicant and the Italian spouse have minor children together, to 18 months and 1 year respectively.
Can I get an Italian passport if my grandmother was Italian?
Applying for Italian Citizenship through Great Grandparents You can apply for Italian citizenship through great grandparents if this relation was born in Italy and had Italian citizenship or the right to claim Italian citizenship when your respective grandparent was born.
Is it difficult to get Italian citizenship?
Perhaps the most complex way to gain Italian citizenship is through residency / naturalization. If you have some Italian heritage, you can wait less than the full 10 years for non-descendant residents, possibly only four years. Pros: All you need is time and an understanding of visa laws to gain naturalization status.
Does Italy have birthright citizenship?
Italian citizenship is granted by birth through the paternal line, with no limit on the number of generations, or through the maternal line for individuals born after 1 January 1948. An Italian citizen may be born in a country whose citizenship is acquired at birth by all persons born there.