How to get an Italian passport by naturalization
- Who can get it?
- To obtain Italian citizenship, you need to receive income in the country.
- To obtain citizenship through ancestry, you need to live in Italy for three years, register at the place of living and stay in the country for at least six months and one day a year.
- 1 How do I get an Italian passport by descent?
- 2 Can I apply for an Italian passport online?
- 3 Can I have a British and Italian passport?
- 4 How long does it take to apply for an Italian passport?
- 5 Can I get an Italian passport if my great grandfather was Italian?
- 6 Can I get an Italian passport if my father is Italian?
- 7 What documents are needed to apply for an Italian passport?
- 8 Can you get an Italian passport without being a citizen?
- 9 Does Italy allow dual nationality?
- 10 Is it worth getting Italian citizenship?
- 11 Why dual citizenship is bad?
- 12 What does an Italian passport get you?
- 13 Do I qualify for an Italian passport?
- 14 How much does it cost to get an Italian passport?
- 15 How long does it take to get Italian citizenship through descent?
How do I get an Italian passport by descent?
5 Steps to Obtaining Italian Dual Citizenship from UK
- Identify Your Ancestral Ties.
- Make an Appointment with Your Local Italian Consulate.
- Gather Documents for Your Ancestor.
- Translating the Documents and Apostilles.
- Attend Your Appointment and Apply for Italian Passport.
Can I apply for an Italian passport online?
Electronic passports now require fingerprinting which means that the entire process cannot be completed online and you will need to visit the consulate at some point. However, keep in mind that those who need to renew Italian passport or apply for a new one must contact the same consulate.
Can I have a British and Italian passport?
Dual citizenship (also known as dual nationality) is allowed in the UK. This means you can be a British citizen and also a citizen of other countries. You do not need to apply for dual citizenship. You can apply for foreign citizenship and keep your British citizenship.
How long does it take to apply for an Italian passport?
When an application is accepted by the consulate, it can take as much as six months for a decision to be made regarding your right to Italian citizenship. Once approved, you can apply for an Italian passport but the overall process can take up to two or three years in total.
Can I get an Italian passport if my great grandfather was Italian?
Applying for Italian Citizenship through Great Grandparents You can apply for Italian citizenship through great grandparents if this relation was born in Italy and had Italian citizenship or the right to claim Italian citizenship when your respective grandparent was born.
Can I get an Italian passport if my father is Italian?
Can I get Italian citizenship through my father? Yes. If your father was born in Italy, you may be able to get an Italian passport. However, Italian law states that your father must not have renounced his right to Italian citizenship before your birth.
What documents are needed to apply for an Italian passport?
Documentation requirements can vary slightly from consulate to consulate, however the following documents must be provided to support your application:
- Birth Certificates from the “Commune’ in Italy.
- Death Certificates.
- Marriage Certificates from Italy.
- Naturalization Certificates.
- Your Personal Civil Records.
Can you get an Italian passport without being a citizen?
Italian passport without first being a citizen of Italy. Therefore, dual citizenship is an Italian passport requirement and must be done before even applying for a passport. Once dual citizenship is obtained, you will have the same right to an Italian passport as natural born citizens of Italy.
Does Italy allow dual nationality?
Dual nationality is allowed in Italy and you do not need to renounce any other citizenship during this process. If you can prove your Italian ancestry and blood ties to the country, you can apply to become an Italian citizen.
Is it worth getting Italian citizenship?
Italian citizenship gives you the rights and privileges to freely roam around the EU without limitations. It can also help to encourage and allow access to new adventures, opportunities for travel and business, and allow for more interactions with other members of the European community.
Why dual citizenship is bad?
Disadvantages of Dual Citizenship It may be that the taxes are doubled if you have dual citizenship. U.S. citizens, even if they are outside the country, must continue to pay taxes from their country of origin and the country in which they are located.
What does an Italian passport get you?
Your rights in Italy As an Italian citizen, you obtain an unlimited access to Italy, including residence, study, work and establishing a business, health-care, social security provisions, subsidies, educational programs and owning estates on a par with all Italian citizens residing in Italy.
Do I qualify for an Italian passport?
Italian citizenship can be obtained if a person’s parents or grandparents were citizens of the country. The process of obtaining a passport through ancestry is similar to naturalization, except it is faster as you can apply for citizenship after three years of residence in the country.
How much does it cost to get an Italian passport?
Once you are a citizen, there is a cost to obtain your Italian passport. As of March 2019, an Italian passport costs approximately $131.90 (116 euros) at an Italian consulate.
How long does it take to get Italian citizenship through descent?
Keep in mind it is not unusual for processing to take between 6 months and 1 year but in spite of that, some applicants are fortunate enough to enjoy a process that takes only 1 to 6 months.