Gnocchi with swordfish and courgettes
Swordfish is the much loved, national fish of Calabria. Still hunted traditionally, there are hundreds of recipes for delicious swordfish dishes from every corner of Calabria. My favourite is Gnocchi con pesce spade e zucchine this beautifully fresh and yet creamy gnocchi, made with swordfish, courgettes and parsley. It’s delicious, one bite and you’ll add it to your recipe book!
Gnocchi with Swordfish and Courgettes
- Sword fish, 2 fillets (approximately 600g)
- 2 Courgettes, very finely chopped
- Red onion (1 slice, finely chopped)
- White wine (125ml)
- Butter (50g)
- Lemon juice from half a lemon
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 3 tablespoons
- Parsley, a generous handful
- Potato Gnocchi (350g)
- Step 1 Having finely chopped the onion and garlic, simmer together with a healthy glug of extra virgin olive oil over a low flame until the onion is soft
- Step 2 Finely chop the courgettes and add to the frying pan, stirring frequently, add another glug of olive oil to keep it cooking smoothly
- Step 3 Pour in the white wine and let it simmer over a small flame until the alcohol has reduced
- Step 4 Add the lemon juice and give it a good stir
- Step 5 Chop the swordfish into small, bite-sized pieces and add to the pan and cook for a few minutes until opaque
- Step 6 Finally, add the butter to the pan, basting the swordfish frequently and mixing it up until you have glossy vegetables.
- Step 7 Meanwhile, boil water in a pan, add a healthy pinch of salt and add the gnocchi, cooking for a few minutes till it’s floating to the surface. Drain and add to the frying pan.
- Step 8 Mix all together until the mixture coats the gnocchi and throw in a handful of chopped parsley.
- Step 9 Serve and enjoy, ideally with a nice glass of Calabrese white wine.