Gnocchi alla Sorrentina is soul food, it’s that go to dish that you know is going to make you feel all kinds of good. Using relatively few ingredients and quick and easy to make this is the quintessential taste of Italy that will please your stomach and your wallet. Cheesy-tomatoey-goodness makes this dish the perfect easy comfort food. Perfect, quick and easy. What more could you ask for in a meal?
Gnocchi alla Sorrentina
- 1 small red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 150ml passata
- 400g of tinned, peeled tomatoes
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes
- fresh basil leaves
- 100g mozzarella
- 50g grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 500g Potato Gnocchi
- 1 tbsp of Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt and pepper
- Step 1 Finely chop the red onion and garlic clove.
- Step 2 Lightly fry in olive oil on a low flame until onions are translucent
- Step 3 Wash and chop the cherry tomatoes and add to the onions and garlic along with the tinned tomatoes and passata.
- Step 4 Add the balsamic vinegar, basil leaves and the sugar and stir well.
- Step 5 Leave to reduce for about 10 minutes.
- Step 6 Boil the gnocchi in lightly salted water and drain.
- Step 7 Chop the mozzarella into small bite sized chunks.
- Step 8 When the sauce has reduced, add the gnocchi to the pan along with the mozzarella and a few tablespoons of parmigiano reggiano and mix through. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Step 9 Transfer all to an oven-proof dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Step 10 Cook in the oven at about 180° for 10 minutes or until the cheese on top starts to turn golden brown.
- Step 11 Garnish with basil leaves.
- Step 12 Eat till your heart’s content.
Enjoyed this recipe? Got a passion for Gnocchi? Why not try this amazing Gnocchi with swordfish and courgettes.