There are certain dishes that sum up a region and for me this is one of them. Zucchine, Cucuzze, Zucchini, Courgettes, whatever you want to call them these tasty courgette flower fritters are unforgettable. Not only are they addictive, easy to make and totally delicious but they also show off some of Calabria’s best produce: its delicious courgettes and more importantly the delicate flowers that grow with them. Proudly found on many a Calabrese table, these fritters are crisp and crunchy on the outside while being melt-in-your-mouth soft inside.
Fritelle di fiori di zucchine: Courgette flower fritters
- 500g plain flour
- 2 good handfuls of courgette flowers
- 4 medium courgettes
- 150g grana padano cheese grated (or parmesan)
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- a handful of parsley
- 200ml sparkling water
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Step 1 Prepare the courgette flowers by removing the stem and wash thoroughly.
- Step 2 Wash and finely dice the courgettes.
- Step 3 In a bowl mix the other ingredients to form a light batter and add the chopped courgettes and flowers
- Step 4 Heat 50ml of sunflower oil in a frying pan and using a spoon fry the batter until golden brown, turning frequently
- Step 5 Remove from oil and get rid of excess oil by leaving to rest on kitchen tissue paper
- Step 6 Serve warm and try not to eat too many!
- Step 7 Enjoy!
NB. If you are unable to get hold of the flowers you can instead just use courgettes for something equally as tasty.
Like this? Want some more? For more must try Calabrese dishes, make sure that you try some of these
Had a go at making them? Let me know what you think in the comments below.