Cheesy-tomatoey-goodness makes this dish the perfect easy comfort food. Perfect, quick and easy.
You will need (Serves 4)
1 small red onion
1 clove of garlic
400g of tinned, peeled tomatoes
1 handful of cherry tomatoes
fresh basil leaves
50g grated Parmigiano Reggiano
500g Potato Gnocchi
1 tbsp of Balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
salt and pepper
- Finely chop the red onion and garlic clove.
- Lightly fry in olive oil on a low flame until onions are translucent
- Wash and chop the cherry tomatoes and add to the onions and garlic along with the tinned tomatoes and passata.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, basil leaves and the sugar and stir well.
- Leave to reduce for about 10 minutes.
- Boil the gnocchi in lightly salted water and drain.
- Chop the mozzarella into small bite sized chunks.
- When the sauce has reduced, add the gnocchi to the pan along with the mozzarella and a few tablespoons of parmigiano reggiano and mix through. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Transfer all to an oven-proof dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Cook in the oven at about 180° for 10 minutes or until the cheese on top starts to turn golden brown.
- Garnish with basil leaves.
- Eat till your heart’s content.